January 12th, 2022
Today Stephen Lecce, the Minister of Education, announced that all Ontario schools will reopen to in-person instruction on Monday, January 17, 2022. The Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) is looking forward to welcoming students back to the classroom on Monday.
What you need to know:
- Elementary and secondary schools will reopen to in-person learning on Monday, January 17, 2022.
- Remote Learning Programs will continue as normal.
- A Short Term Virtual Learning option will be available.
- Before and after school programs (Extended Day Programs) will also reopen on January 17, 2022.
- Childcare centres located in WRDSB schools for children 0 to 4 will remain open as normal.
Preparing for the return to in-person learning
New School Screener
- The COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Form has been updated. Every student will be required to complete this screening form prior to attending school starting January 17.
- Further instructions will follow for elementary and secondary students.
PCR Self-Collection Tests
- PCR Self-Collection kits will ONLY be available to staff and students with symptoms most commonly associated with COVID-19 as noted in the screening tool.
- Participation in this program will continue to be voluntary.
Rapid Antigen Tests
- Today, the Ontario Government announced that they will be providing school boards with 3.9 million rapid antigen tests this week, with additional tests to be delivered next week.
- The use of the tests is for symptomatic individuals, who will be required to take two rapid tests 24-48 hours apart, and upon negative results can return to class.
- The Ministry of Consumer Goods and Services will be providing Ontario school boards with non-fit tested N95 masks for use by Board staff. WRDSB staff will have the option to wear either the ASTM-rated medical mask or the non-fit tested N95 masks provided.
- The WRDSB anticipates receiving an additional 70 HEPA filters. These units will be deployed throughout the system based on the ventilation needs of classrooms.
- For more information on ventilation in our schools, please visit our Ventilation in WRDSB Schools web page.
Short Term Virtual Learning
We understand some parents and caregivers may not feel comfortable sending their children back to in-person learning at this time. We will be offering a Short Term Virtual Learning option to meet the needs of families who wish to temporarily continue with remote learning. Further details will be provided shortly.
Keeping You Informed
- Find out what we know as soon as we know it:
Categories: All Posts