May 30th, 2019
Warm up those vocal cords (or fingers) and show off your Canadian spirit. We are in search of incredible WRDSB talent to help us kick-off a variety of events on the “right note” – and we want you to be the star.
We are looking for performances of O Canada that will be played during our public board meetings and other special occasions throughout the school year. If you are a student, staff member, or part of the WRDSB family, we want YOU to showcase your talent and let your diverse Canadian spirit drive your creativity. We might even ask you to attend the meeting or event and perform in person.
So, grab your double-double, gather around a Maple tree, call on your friendliest neighbourhood Moose and don’t be afraid to have some fun!
Want to participate?
If you’re part of a band, a choir, a trio, a duo, or a soloist, then this is for you!
Record a video (in landscape) of you or a group singing or performing O Canada in English or French. You can record the video on a computer, tablet, phone or hand-held camera.
Ways to submit
Once, you have finished your recording, you can:
- Share it with us on Instagram, Twitter or YouTube using the hashtag #WeSingOCanada, or
- Submit your video through our Google Form.
If you are posting to any of the listed social media channels and your account is “private”, please switch it to “public” so we can see your talent. Additionally, don’t forget to tag us on Twitter at @wrdsb or on Instagram at @wr_dsb. If you are uploading to YouTube, make sure you use the #WeSingOCanada hashtag in the title.
The deadline for entries is Thursday, June 27, 2019.
If your video is chosen, we will contact you and your parent/caregiver (if you are under 18) to check we have permission to use your video.
- Be creative! Feel free to dress up in your most Canadian gear or sing in your first language.
- Make sure you have plenty of good lighting when you shoot the video but if you’re going to shoot right next to a window, make sure your back is not to the window or we won’t be able to see you, unless of course, it is for creative purposes.
- Make sure you’re in a quiet place so you get great sound.
- Wait five seconds after you hit record and before you start singing. Do the same at the end – wait a little bit before you end the recording. We need this to make a smooth edit.
- If it’s just you singing, get a friend to hold the camera for you (unless you want that selfie vibe, then lean it on a shelf or grab a tripod).
- Do not stand directly near a wall – we recommend one meter away to reduce shadow.
- If you need something to sing to, perform with or act as a music key guide, here are a variety of O Canada recordings supplied by the Government of Canada.
Rules and Regulations
1) GENERAL: To participate in the “#WeSingOCanada” video campaign conducted by the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB), you can upload your video to your social media channels using the hashtag #WeSingOCanada. Entries are only valid when submitted with your full name, age and school, and make sure the social media channel you are uploading to is viewable to the public.
2) ELIGIBILITY: The “#WeSingOCanada” video campaign is open to our entire WRDSB community – schools, worksites, students, staff and WRDSB families. Contestants must use the newest version of O Canada lyrics.
3) CONTENT RESTRICTIONS: Your submission must NOT contain material which is sexually explicit or suggestive, obscene, pornographic, violent (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing, or promotes the use of illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons or any other activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous. Your submission must NOT contain any derogatory references.
4) PERMISSIONS: If your video is chosen, we will get in touch with you and your parent/caregiver (if you are under 18) to check we have permission to use your image.
Categories: All Posts