January 27th, 2020
We would like to update you on the coronavirus that has originated in China and has been receiving significant media attention in recent days.
The Ontario Medical Office, and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams, has been in contact with all school boards and advised in a letter that: “Students, parents and school communities should rest assured that the province is working together in close cooperation with its partners in both the education and health care sectors to ensure the continued safety and well-being of students and staff.”
Further, the Ontario Medical Office has suggested:
Members of the public are advised to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of transmission of the flu and respiratory illness, which include:
- get a yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies (for flu only)
- wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- if you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm, and
- stay home if you are ill.
Please know that we are keeping in close contact with the Ontario Medical Office and our local public health office and continue to monitor the situation closely. If they advise us of any necessary additional steps, we will communicate these to our community.
In the meantime, should you have any questions, please review the information and resources available in the links below. As always, if your child is feeling ill, please keep them at home and contact a medical practitioner.
Categories: All Posts