January 27th, 2021
The Board of Trustees of the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) is looking for people from Waterloo Region’s Black, Indigenous and Racialized community to apply to join the Committee on the School Resource Officer (SRO) program and the Relationship between the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) and the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS).
The committee will review and provide recommendations on the School Resource Officer (SRO) program and the Board’s relationship with the Waterloo Regional Police Service.
At the Committee of the Whole meeting on Monday, January 11, Trustees voted to amend the Terms of Reference for the SRO Review Ad Hoc Committee to include the focus of meaningfully engaging Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities in the district, staff, students, parents, Board committees, alumni, community groups and members of the public in conducting the review.
With this in mind, we have reopened applications for people from Waterloo Region’s Black, Indigenous and Racialized community.
About this committee
The committee will review:
- The origins and history of the program
- The current scope of the program
- Data on the role played by SROs (number and type of interactions, number of arrests of students, etc.)
- Possible rationales for discontinuing the program
- Possible rationales for continuing the program, whether in its current form or in some other form
- Information from other school boards on their relationship to their local police service and any changes that they may be contemplating to that relationship
Who will be on the committee?
This committee will be composed of the following:
- Three Trustees
- One Student Trustee
- One Superintendent
- One System Administrator
- One Human Rights and Equity Advisor
- One Secondary Principal
- One Elementary Principal
- Three students
- Three teachers
- Three parents or caregivers
- One Child and Youth Worker
- One Community Representative from the Black, Indigenous or racialized community
Who can apply to join this committee?
We are looking for one member of the following group:
- Black, Indigenous and racialized community members
Please note: applications are open until February 4 at 5:00 pm.
Categories: All Posts